Twice today I spoke with people who are unhappy with their domain host/registrar. It was the same company. (Let’s call them AbusiveTravelingFather.Com or ATFhole.com.) This company offers inexpensive registration and cheap domain hosting, but then traps you with a bad interface, cryptic messages, limited phone support, and basically holds your website hostage.
So you want to switch, but that’s a frightening thing.
Relax. Not such a big deal.
I called (yes, used the phone and they answered!) my host and registrar to find out what the process is. You can use them or someone else. The sign-up procedure might be different, but the interaction with ATFhole.com will be the same
- The domain that you have with ATFhole.com has to have been there for at least 60 days
- If you’re hosting with them, make sure you can keep the hosting when you leave the registrar services.
- If you want to switch hosts, you MIGHT want to start that process ASAP, before transferring the domain, so that you’ll be finished and done. Just sign up with a new host, and install your website there. (You can back up or export a WordPress site and then upload it to the new site). You’ll have a “tester” site that won’t be live until the transfer goes through.
- At ATFhole.com, turn off Transfer Lock. You should be able to do this through the web interface. If not ASK them to do this for you.
- GET the Transfer Authorization Code from ATFhole.com
- Find another registrar, like pairnic.com*
- Choose “Transfer” Option
- Fill in the Domain Name
- The new registrar will check to make sure the domain available for transferring.
- If it’s expired it can’t be transferred.
- You’ll have the option of registering other versions, like .NET. You DON’T have to do this.
- New registrar will ask you to create an account
- User Name and Password
- Enter Authorization Code (from ATFhole.com)
- Payment Information
- You have to ADD a minimum of 1 year to existing registration.
- Transfer Process is started
- Read the email carefully.
- Approve option makes it happen FASTER.
- Even if you don’t approve, it will transfer in 5 business days
- Request to ATFhole.com is sent
- ATFhole will give initial Yes or No
- ATFhole will send an email to you that says, A transfer is being requested.
- Log into your ATFhole account to approve or deny transfer
- The new registrar notifies you that it’s been transferred.
- ALL existing Domain Name Server records move with the server change
- ANYTHING THAT IS THERE IS THERE. Your website SHOULD be fine.
- However, if you’re using ATFhole for hosting, changing the server MAY affect the website. This is why you might want to set up the new hosting company in advance
- You’re done. Relax. Have a beer or glass of wine.
*P.S. I’ve used PairNic for more than a decade. They are great. Awesome tech support. Reasonable prices. Human beings work there. Disclosure: if you do use Pairnic.com, you can put 54390 in the “Referred by” field, and I might get a dollar. Whoo hoo.